Sunday, June 17, 2018

Nothing Ventured...

Made some comparatively long-shot submissions that might have been inconceivable when I was trying my hardest to show my range by not writing about disability topics.(I've looked over a printed cache of those articles recently, and there are bright spots about them: decent quotes or quips and whatever, but they were almost determinedly non-consequential attempts to erase my real life and history and remake myself as the local version as a trend -story yuppette, or "Just Shoot Me" cast member.
 It was hard for me to see at the time because the submission/ pitch process took so much from me every time, but now I can see that it would be better to have worked hard on one piece that really mattered, versus six pieces of glittery, nothing bullshit that came from what I saw on other media.
(Yes, I really wanted to be one of those women, and not what I really was.  Especially then.)
Even though I like my stories, I do think they are long shots, because one is to Mystery Magazine Everyone Wants In(Not their name, obvs) and a disability anthology out of Canada. 
I'm still not Canadian, as much as I might wish sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment