Sunday, September 9, 2018

I wrote an op-ed...

Which I hope will appear in "a slightly different form" in our local newspaper.

I’m a published writer, but lately the little I’ve been writing all contains the phrase”as a disabled person, I…”which is hardly a phrase that would gain me fame or fortune. Historically, we’ve had things decided for us without a place at the table.That’s why I must urge Jeff Flake, as my elected representative in the Senate,  to consider the brilliant testimony of disability advocate Liz Weintraub. A vote for Kavenaugh is a vote against my bodily autonomy and self-determination, whether overtly, such as deciding that someone else should make my healthcare decisions, or in more of a slow-motion manner by undermining mechanisms, such as Medicaid, that provide healthcare in the first place.

Judge Kavenaugh has shown that he does not care about the rights that so many people(including  myself in some small ways) have fought so hard for, to live and work in our communities and stay in our homes: to be full members of our families and full and equal citizens. More than lesser concerns about secrecy and the hidden elements of Kavenaugh’s life and record(such as the mysterious benefactor who paid back all he owed for buying baseball tickets…may student-loan borrowers be so fortunate one day), lack of respect for my personhood as a disabled American woman has thrust me into this fight.

I understand that the odds are long, that a lot of shadowy people with deep pockets are really hoping people like me tear our hair out for sixty days. I also understand that, as someone whose upcoming birthday is something of an accident anniversary, my whole life has  been based around facing and surpassing long odds, even if I’ve never “overcome” my impairment in the classic sense. Maybe we can defend our nation the way we defended ACA…it seems like life-and-death to me, a humble activist and ink-stained wretch…shouldn’t it to my Senator too?

No comments:

Post a Comment