Thursday, April 21, 2022

It's Alive(ish)

 23 people showed up for the PDA disability committee yesterday, and after a momentary failure of nerve, I signed up to be on the Advisory Committee of same.

It's a beginning.

I think it may be something of a challenge to coordinate the access needs of so many different disabilities on kind of a shoestring budget.  I can imagine a few long-time readers thinking  "Well, you do yours...how hard can it be?" but it's different. The way I've learned to "deal with" lapses in access in general is to try to accept there are parts of the job/recreational activity/ whatever that I won't be able to manage. I doubt very much I'd get into another big access fight over "just me", but that's why I've never been able to be a mentor for young advocates.(These people, to their credit, seem disinclined to fake it, but that kind of makes me wonder how we will get on, interpersonally.(Also, have I given up too fast? Not that, of all the things I haven't gotten to do enough of on this planet, wrangling, usually only with partial success, for some kind of wheelchair access, is one of them.. But, as with many things in this life, meeting some assertive strangers made me wonder if I could have gotten farther by pushing harder, at least, sometimes.)

Some of the new people's access needs involve communications, which is an area about which I'm under-informed, but we may not be able to have meetings without addressing it because I don't want to have meetings where people don't understand stuff.

BUFFY

I fight evil, but I don't really win. I'm like the boy who stuck his finger in the duck.

Wish us luck, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment