Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Bohemian Crip Watches Movies: Illusion(2004)

 Wanted to like this one better than I did(even though it might get a note in here for featuring post-stroke Kirk Douglas as sort of Hollywood Ebenezer Scrooge, mixed with the father from Cat's in the Cradle)
These are all concepts that sort of pull on my heartstrings generally, but somehow the films of the son's life without the father, and centered on high-school crush Isabelle as if she might be the last woman on Earth or something failed to convince. One of the few small movies I watched in a while to actually make me pay attention to location and budget limitations.  Mostly, because, in most films fighting about family stuff around a kitchen table, Nancy Meyers aside, doesn't really require an expensive kitchen table, and that's the kind of independent film I watch, mostly.  Since this one was supposed to have movement through time and space in it, I did sort of wish it looked like it in some way I'm still trying to quantify.

 Could a father's advice make that much difference in a young man's love life? I wouldn't know...my dad kind of just hit me with "Men and women can't really be friends," and considered his job done.  Well, until, he had a friend at work, I guess.
I don't think it came together exactly, but people on IMDB seemed to enjoy it much more than I did.

ETA: I edited this...somehow, one of one my sentences got posted without its predicate.I can be sloppy about copy-and-paste but I usually do better than that...just didn't catch my error. D'oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment