Thursday, June 29, 2023

Just Another Girl On The IOT...

 First, a note on this title, which I chose not for "Issue Organizing Team" which is what it means at work, but forLeslie Harris' brilliant film from the 90s, that, on top of everything I loved about it back then, might just give Ron DeSantis a lifelong ice cream headache if it has a resurgence, which he richly deserves.(and, yes, America, I've been waiting a long time to work this in. )

I was so glad my digestion held out for the disability and labor training Wednesday. I have to agree that principles ofDisability Justice sound much more affirming(and can I even say exciting?) than the inch-by-inch haggling that discussions regarding the ADA, considered by most as a useful tool, but kind of a baseline rather than an end for an inclusive society., have turned into in recent years.

Much was also discussed about the extractive nature of capitalism and how it makes even disabled people fetishize productivity, as well as pitting groups of the working class against one another.

The pandemic was listed by some panelists as a sore spot for hidden ableism, as some immune-compromised panelists are feeling more disposable than ever three years out, especially as workplaces return to a normal that never worked for everyone, anyway.

Maybe I can work with some of these people again...I'd like to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment