Monday, January 23, 2023

Maybe Plotinus Is Part of Our Problem...

 as disabled people, at least in the ancient philosopher's determination that happiness most lay in a complete split between mind and body.  Your Bohemian Crip has to give him credit for attempting to live up to his convictions, because in looking him up, I found out he allowed no likeness to be made of him in his lifetime. I have always wondered if being disabled would have been easier to cope with if more abled people remembered more about being babies, and therefore, depending on others.(Which would seem to create the civilization of the "Anti-Plotinus"which might create more room for people like me to exist in our full integrity, but maybe, barring that period between eleven and thirteen when I was always So Embarrassed, I've always been a more corporeal person than Dr. Cooper Jones.  Even if I could occasionally take solace in imagining innards lined in white paper that produce nothing more noxious than what's left after a shredding marathon.

I learned a lot from reading Easy Beauty, by Chloe Cooper-Jones and I don't just mean the difference between an academic background in philosophy and taking a few classes in community college from a very sweet guy who wore sandals and never quite clipped his toenails.(See, told you there are limitations from believing the life of the mind and the life of the body aren't, perhaps irrevocably, linked.)

No comments:

Post a Comment