Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Submitted a sketch about yard sales...and remembered...

 in addition to the fifty words the site wanted...

Nowadays, maybe I’d like to make it seem like I figured out there was a real problem from the people getting excited about equipment at swap meets.  If people believed that, I could out-Lisa Simpson Lisa Simpson in the eyes of my comrades in the health care fight(and considering where I was in the mid-eighties, and that Lisa might well have been nothing but a doodle in Groening’s sketch pad in those days, I could almost pull it off) Except I don’t like myself enough to give myself a halo, and because the real reason I felt deflated by “How much for the wheelchair?” is as revealing as it is shallow.(But, honestly, seeing it so often made the “real problem” thing not hard to figure out either…only as a grown person, I hope I would figure out a better response than my grandma, who saw in others’ crisis, something of a score.)
I used to think that when I sat in a chair like other people sat in—what I might have called a “normal chair” in those days—from about the time I was about ten till about thirteen, normal preoccupied me just as hard as I ignored it all those years before that and thought it seemed like a drag.  But I did think my disability didn’t show on the couch, or on a raft at the pool, or anywhere where the chair wasn’t directly in evidence. Like once someone fought me into shotgun in the pickup truck(another thing I sort of liked to pretend didn’t happen, and maybe a big reason why “Bewitched” was an early-morning rerun favorite.
And, sometimes, people didn’t seem to notice.  Or maybe they found it kinder to make a big deal over my little-girl’s long blonde locks instead. If you know what to look for(my posture’s never been good, and decades of sitting and tight muscles have somewhat conspired to fit my body for a chair more than anything else) it always showed, but where did I get the idea it’d be better if it didn’t? I don’t think anyone really told me that, though I guess I did hear “Such a pretty face,” a lot

No comments:

Post a Comment