Saturday, July 29, 2023

Bohemian Crip Watches Movies: How About You

 

Your mind won’t be blown by “How About You.” It’s not even a towering piece of representation.Although some very talented English and Irish character actors do seem to bring what they know about getting older to the table, and that is nice to watch as I’m here, closing out my forties in a body that never got to be Young Invincible.  It ticks along like a battered Timex, though at times all of that seems redundant.  The story is a simple, human one about a family-run elder-care home and what happens when the flaky sister has to hold down the fort over Christmas break, from source material from women’s fiction mainstay Maeve Binchy.  I have to admit, since my group-living situation was about being pushed around, if not full-on abused, I enjoyed the residents giving staffers some grief.  Community is probably better, though. I miss human scale movies like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment