Saturday, May 26, 2018

In Which Life Intervenes, and My Post Improves...

I was all set to write one of my usual barn-burners about the valedictorian in New Jersey whose internship threatened her personal care but my life got in the way for some reason that seemed important at the time but is not exciting enough to list here.
(Anyone else feel that there is too much going on to know what to do, pretty much always?)Longtime readers of my work may remember I faced a similar dilemma coming out of college and always felt vaguely cowardly about the not-handling-it way I handled it.Long story short, I preemptively took myself out of the running to save on the drama, and now, when I feel like a do-nothing in the middle of the night, that choice kind of looms as the point where Everything Went Wrong, and I would spare anyone that, but I definitely don't think pretty valedictorians deserve it, although Donald Trump junior might.
 So, when I couldn't write the blog post either, in what seemed like a timely fashion, I felt badly again.Until I got the news a few hours later that aSenatorial candidate, influenced by the local coverage I linked to here, as well as a meeting with the family, is actually running on eliminating caps and disincentives for Medicaid. Exciting news for crips of all stripes, even Bohemian ones who've given up on being active participants in politicians' minds.
It gets better, too. The candidate, Lisa McCormick, has agreed to do an interview with me for this blog shortly...anyone have any thoughts on questions?  Especially NJ folks... I'm excited about this.
It still burns me that disabled people get barred from accomplishing things AND blamed for being on benefits so I'm happy to use my skills to promote real solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment