Thursday, May 3, 2018

Natural Causes by Barbara Ehrenreich


Although the right to, you know, go quietly with minimal fuss may be the one right disabled people like me would never have to fight for(see also, Alan Grayson’s “Die Quickly,” comments, which, bald as they seemed to me at the time, might have actually underplayed GOP hostility to the “least of these.) I find there is a lot to like about Barbara Ehrenreich’s latest book”. It is getting pounded in Amazon reviews by people as seeming to suggest that caring for one’s health doesn’t matter, or worse, that people past a certain age should find one of the few intact ice floes and settle down on it.

I do think that the 70-year-old Ehrenreich has made peace with her own demise, although I don’t think she is going anywhere that soon, but I think her real goal is, as always to get us to question our own assumptions about why we do what we do.(In some ways, I wonder if the vast division of reviews for this book isn’t between those of us who have a more established awareness of the limitations of medical care, and those looking for the latest superfood to prolong an already comfortable path in life. I think I know, but I’m not getting too attached to that assumption either.
 Given that my congenital disability being untreatable, and largely unfathomable by most doctors(“That affects children, doesn’t it?” is a not uncommon response, even though growing up affects children too) does lead to a great deal of skepticism, I was surprised at how little trial-and-error research that some of the most common medical testing has. 

No comments:

Post a Comment