Monday, November 30, 2020

My Mother Hates "Shameless", But It's What I Need Right Now

 Mom wanted to raise a middle-class child.(Although she doesn't really love it when I act like that, so I don't really know what that's about.)She doesn't really understand why I like urban dramas like "The Wire" but I think that having urban grit encroach on the family...dramedy makes it more personal for Mom, who grew up gritty.

(I will say that the rambunctious Gallagher clan does...live out loud, and the production design goes all out giving them a scruffy house with more people than room...it's not often outside of a documentary that I get the urge to bleach a character's toilet.)

In these difficult times, I find it hard to find pleasure in things I watch. It can be too easy to hide out in the past, but sometimes  I want something challenging.I appreciate that there is little that is "aspirational" in what I see in the Gallaghers' working-class nabe, though they do survive obstacles that might bring real-life counterparts to their knees.(Emmy Rossum's Fiona is my hero, and who I'd mostly would like to be. Also, if I'd met a Lip in high school, I think I wouldn't have gotten perfect attendance.)

No comments:

Post a Comment