Tuesday, February 1, 2022

It's Bothered Me For Years...

 that the writers on "Seinfeld" who wrote"The Handicap Spot"(sic) did not seem to know thing one about how an electric wheelchair works. Like, at all. It's a pretty funny episode that I hadn't seen in a long time, because my tendency had been to watch Seinfeld pretty continuously, burn myself out and not stay current. Leaving aside the omnipresent representation(a disabled writer would probably know from watching a friend, or of course, their own lives, that you don't try to push an electric chair--they often weigh hundreds of pounds) or nomenclature debates(Even when it was on, people were moving away from saying "handicapped" anymore, but go off.) nobody cared to do any research? For Example,, I bet if they did an episode about, say, scuba gear, they wouldn't show everyone wearing the shit backwards, because some network president could be super into scuba and get his friends from the country club to write letters and whatnot.(Although I will admit, they did some crazy and somewhat surreal episodes.) But it feels like they decided we are joke butts, not joke consumers.


I do like the car-salesman riff throughout, but my mom never got out of those places without the salesman hitting on her.(That, and the Fonz, were how I learned that "picking people up" was a thing. Only it was close to home that I learned women didn't always, well, dig it.) Even then, or at least over time, I figured a.  It must work on somebody.  and 2.  That was probably pretty sad and I was glad I wasn't her kid.

My brother usually pointed out afterward that the guys had hair in their noses.(if you want to date a single mom, grooming counts, dudes...if she doesn't notice, the kids do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment