Thursday, September 29, 2022

Almost Called This...

 If I Have To Wonder  This, So Do You but I settled for:

On  cerebral palsy

It’s weird that my brain

Doesn’t know what’s wrong with it,

And keeps sending out messages that are rarely returned,

And my muscles send tightness

Instead of “while you were out,”

They’ve been here the whole time…

How hard is it to pick up the goddamn phone?

They’ve been waiting for forty-nine years last Sunday.

My brain learned lots of things,

Buffy quotes, politics, the second-hand dangers of the carceral state,

Imagined play-at-home millions on Jeopardy,

But it doesn’t know that it’s broken.

Is it gross that I wonder what the damage looks like?
I mean, it is the biggest thing…

Keeping me from a different kind of

Uncertain future.

Does my brain look like a peach we

Should have brought home from the store and eaten right away?

(that’s why you might get a good deal…the big bruise on the side.)

Or is it like lockdown,

Where the quiet is the creepy part,

But on the outside, everything looks the same.

Which would make a better story?

No comments:

Post a Comment