Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Not Quite A New Curse Out Of Boston...

 but there is *no* tension in the Frasier reboot. I get that the current era has been a rough one, but lately showrunners are reminding me of my mother when I was a kid trying to tell me Tom and Jerry were just playing(Although there are a lot of cartoons of them.  Some of them are more like that, more like the sheep and the wolf  clocking in.) But seriously, no tension, and I say that after watching eight years of stuff mainly going right for Vincent Chase on "Entourage" ..I'm not even talking about Norman Lear/ "Better Things" style Fighting About Stuff That Actually Hurts, which I do think Better Things is brilliant about, but I am living with my mother.  It could be a little too much.

-is being a dropout so early in college really a crisis?  Also, Freddy left *Harvard*--he looks better for leaving Harvard than I do from sticking with my grubby state college.(it's not 1968.  Lots of famous people left college for opportunity...maybe a good place for a Damon-Affleck joke.) Maybe that part would work better if  he: washed out and faked that it was he choice, or if he was further along in school or some prize-winner and he gave it back.

-Would your dad be SO disappointed about the fire-fighting?(Around here, Frasier would love that, although maybe not that Marty's connections would open more doors than him being the "I'm listening," guy for years.  In Phoenix, there isn't really such a thing as getting on at the fire department without a family connection. ) But in the Crane family, I seem to recall a cousin on the Greek side that was a mime on the street.
Maybe, again, let's say Freddy needed to prove himself to the other guys by leaping into the most dangerous stuff, first, or something like that...that's actually a good choice, because Frasier would have a lot of thoughts on the death wish and stuff like that.  As any Freudian worth his salt might, he might conclude that it's a normal, even universal thing.  

But he wants to be a good dad, and he wants Freddy to appreciate chairs with more of a pedigree than I have, so, you know, Not For My Kid.

I have officially thought more about this  more than the folks in charge, who totally just wrote  Kelsey's number on a napkin with a box around it that read Frasier In Boston.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment