Monday, April 2, 2018

In Which I Relate to McGruff...

and not only for being a "Crime Dog", although recently I devouredMichelle McNamara's book, and I could see myself in her single-minded quest. But the identification was at once smaller and larger than that, since it came from an insurance commercial.

If you haven't seen it, the crime-fighting hound strides around, all business, eager to share his latest crime-busting tip, only to be talked to in a cute voice like he is...a dog! He is left frustrated and the voice-over says that (Company) will have good rates for "as long as people talk baby talk to dogs".
It's funny, but I could also relate, too.  Although nobody has ever asked me if I had a "tippy-whippy" before, it doesn't take much to notice that something about my appearance plus the chair makes people use a similar voice on me, too.

There could be a whole metaphor in it, X-Men style, about him not getting the respect he deserves  because he is so different from the human detectives.But then, again, more likely, they are just trying to get children of the '80s to think about auto insurance, now that some of us are past those skin-of-your teeth insurers. The Baby Voice is not a joke, though. If you are impaired, you have lived it. Too loud, too much energy, morning show enthusiastic, also irritatingly willing to slow down so you don't miss any syllable as a stranger admires your "pretty, pretty blouse" when you are well launched in your forties.Able-bodied people, nobody likes this.Just greet us like you would a friendly neighbor at the mailbox or something.

Not only is it hard on my credibility, but in school, at least, it kept me from showing my real personality sometimes. Which held me back, I think, Although maybe not as much as it would if life was like a reunion rom-com, and all roads led back to that high school locker, but  between the social doubt trying to correct for it left me less fun than the average car crash, I still have a lot to live down.

No comments:

Post a Comment