Sunday, April 8, 2018

On My Desk, This Week...


I had to admit, though, that I couldn’t open my paper (okay, Tommy’s paper) without reading a description of some dude’s secret sexually aggressive life.  There were a lot, even if you thought that some of them weren’t all true.  Most of them involved guys a lot more assuming than my buddy Perry, too. “Maybe he couldn’t help it,” Mrs.  Baxter offered. “Their hormones can be a lot closer to the surface than ours.” For a moment, I was enraged.  Then I was embarrassed, thinking about how gratified my high-school self would be on the undamaged side of “ours.”
“With all due respect, I think that’s a myth, Mrs. Baxter.”
She looked at me as if to say “Have it your way,” but she didn’t say anything else.  Somehow, though, I doubted that she’d give me space on the Sanity Bench again, and, stranger as she was, that gave me a pang.  On the other hand, at least I wouldn’t be tossing and turning in a strange bed that night over the gap between my stated beliefs and the things I was willing to talk about in public. That was a step in the right direction.
Just a taste from my as-yet-untitled False Confession story(partially based on a real incident, in which a neighbor was a witness. ) Thought about calling it "Saturday, In The Park" because I set it on July 4, but the band Chicago isn't very noir, is it? Not that my stories usually are, either, even though I've tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment