Saturday, February 1, 2020

Will Our Debt To The Second Wave Ever Be Square?

(I'm not sure we in subsequent generations could ever zero it out...they did make that much change. But maybe we could get some kind of forgiveness, as a struggling nation...after all, her gen promised us better healthcare and universal childcare and men doing half at home and never delivered on it.)

I think Rashida Tlaib had the right to boo, but that every right does not constitute an obligation. I wish she hadn't, right? She lets her feelings get the better of her sometimes.

But the reason why I'm still thinking about that is all the commenters who wrote "She owes HRC so much!"(And I suppose that's true, as do I owe women in the Second Wave age range, specifically my own mother, whose contributions to feminism are more private, maybe because she has to help me make my contributions to feminism.) Thank you, again, right?(Not trying to be snarky, here)
But the "ungrateful brat" thing made more sense when we were all twenty years old and thinking we could subdue sexism with the right lyrics, lip gloss and force of personality(Even that is something of a thumbnail, but does anybody really think that now?)
It's hard for me, the gratitude thing.   As a disabled woman, I'm expected to be so grateful, it can be hard to know how much I deserve and how much credit to give myself.(as I've written before, I was Representative Tlaib's age when I finally got a social worker to stop calling me "young lady", you know?) Yes, Congresswomen need to act like leaders and set a tone, but is focus -group doublespeak the best we can do? I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment