Wednesday, March 4, 2020

I Don't Understand My Fellow Americans...


I guess I’ve got to hand it to Biden, but I haven’t felt so left out of a phenomenon since I read “Becoming” last year and it left me disappointed.  I generally like to read about people’s lives and Michelle’s was not an exception, however the parts about “going high” and education being the things that save people seemed like a tough sell sitting in my shoebox condo and talking to a social worker who hit me with that whole “Goodness, such big words from a little girl”-type trip.(Having fifty-seven words for how screwed you are does not seem like an asset at the best of times, really, and these have not been the best of times.)

I think EW deserves better, but not in that “curses…rigged!!” type way, more that I wish we lived in a culture that respected women’s awesomeness more. I can definitely picture a world where she had the winning message(this may be my favorite part about politics, really, aside from the times when it’s encouraged that you scream.) Not that a Senate seat in Massachusetts is some kind of chick-job consolation price or anything like that.(While we’re here, a word about a Warren primary…I hated the thought as a hashtag, both because the timing was terrible in re repairing whatever divides exist between Sanders and Warren folks, and because I don’t think primaries should be viewed as a punishment, but rather a chance to showcase the range of thought in the party and stuff like that.Yes, I know they are often viewed as “a harsh rebuke” by the kind of hacky journalist salivating to write about how Biden and Trump “traded barbs”, thereby causing me to wonder how late in the summer I’ll contemplate popping one of my eardrums to avoid hearing the sloppy “trade”. If someone came along that checked some more of my policy boxes, I’d give them a look, I think, but I like Warren.

As for me, kind of disappointed today.  Really started to think that our coalition had gone from fudge ripple to swirl…I think some leftist candidate will get it there fully one day, and maybe it won’t be that long, but it seems long to me right now(Also, on some things, like climate, that Biden’s not too great about…we really don’t have forever.)I’m not dropping out of anything…will fight the primary out, then, if Biden’s it, work to get him elected(a little, at least…maybe will concentrate on house or senate seats and leave Biden to folks with actual passion for his project0) and then protest him or something, probably…maybe he will pick a running mate that generates a more enthusiastic response, or maybe in six months it will seem like the height of luxury to only wish the President would shut up one day a week instead of every day.(I really want more, someday, which is not the same as “money for nothing and a pony” I don’t think.  

Many of my problems with Biden probably aren’t as much with actual Biden(although I do find him slow to adapt and kind of rough on “the yutes” for no good reason, as well as not as funny as he thinks he is, but at least he’s not Bloomberg) as the media creation of Regular Joe, The Worker Whisperer, who speaks to people making under 50k in their native dialect. I was insulted by that before people in the party and the media decided they needed a backstop against people like…me. Ok, people like John Heilemann, you might well have gotten a reprieve, but one day, climate willing, you’ll have to deal with those meddling kids(and me, I guess as their weird single friend)

No comments:

Post a Comment