Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Finally saw

The Problem With Apu which I liked...it has a nice mix of explaining the problem mixed with affection for the source material.(Even though I also like Apu, I can imagine that having him follow you around with some wiseass all "Heh, heh, that's you/ your dad" would not be fun *at all*...if it would make people feel better to retire him in some way, I could accept that...although I'm not sure Groundskeeper Willie is quite strong enough to encapsulate the immigrant experience, though.)

also, it wouldn't hurt Hank Azaria to look thoughtful about his work and say for example "I intended this as an affectionate homage, but had never considered what it would be like for people to think he represented your culture. also, I forgot what rotten little shits junior-high boys are."

Still, couldn't help picturing a  world where I could hunt down half of Hollywood and ask for comment for my thirty-seven part documentary "Every Piece of Disability Oscar Bait Ever!"" (although being born with a disability, maybe I could confine my ire to the ones where crusading mothers teach kids like me our letters and prove to some resistant teacher/doctor/principal that we're "in there" over and over. )

No comments:

Post a Comment