Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Media Roundup...

 

I usually don’t like labor-and-delivery scenes on TV. It seems like most of what I write here is about flicking people on the head and yelling out “respect my Lived Experience!1”, but I remember having that feeling before realizing that my attendance at most baby showers tends to be viewed as a pastel-clad Ghost of Christmas Future.
I came through a difficult birth and lived to tell(and retell) the tale, but even the most rose-colored optimist would not really describe my story as one who Turned Out Okay.  I think I remind people of the ways these incidents aren’t Okay, in ways that, in real life happen thousands of times a year.
I don’t think I thought that my whole life…just maybe that it’s a lot of gamy realism for a medium that doesn’t like to show people even in their underwear. It just never comes off right to me, even when the actresses are moms that might remember what it’s like.(and that’s without the sloppy writing that decides that the best way to show a couple on the right track is to show a woman rubbing a smug hand over a swelling belly.

If I still wrote crossover fanfiction, I would absolutely do a Shameless/Buffy one wherein Fiona Gallagher got her hit of shareware Slayer power. If I wanted to fiddle with timelines and dates, maybe even an AU where she ends up in the Faith role(Would she be as vulnerable to the Mayor? Maybe if her brothers were in trouble.)

No comments:

Post a Comment