Monday, May 10, 2021

Jojo Moyes Can Create Decent Disability Rep Sometimes...

  Not, again, #OurVoices, but I did wonder who Moyes might know  who's blind, because the character, Camille, though minor, as the landlady's daughter, and therefore a secondary character does have more facets than many abled writers tend to give a blind character, including her endangering her marriage through a thoughtless affair.(One day, though, I'd like to stop thinking a writer has to have a family member in the club to care about us and rich portrayals.  Also, to see more of our books get more attention, but you knew that!)

I'm not sure what I was really  looking for when I foundWindfallen which is a personable summer read about how the restoration of a hotel helps two women put their lives back together. (I liked it, but didn't start reading it thinking I'd have any thoughts to offer, especially as I  liked "Me before You," till about halfway through(Yes, I knew what it was about and all, but I can't stop wishing that it had been written about Lou and Will both getting a new lease on life, whether they ended up together or not. That is something I somewhat relate to and think there should be movies about.)

But Ms. Moyes wrote the best-seller and I am the person who underestimated  how much audiences want a good cry at disabled expense. " Windfallen" was Moyes' second novel, but I kind of feel she had it more right then.

No comments:

Post a Comment