Sunday, April 4, 2021

Bohemian Crip Watches Movies "Kelly and Cal"

 Can't quite recommend Kelly and Cal as disability representation, though it is a sad statement how excited your correspondent was to see a sense of possibility, no matter how ambiguous, attach to a young disabled character, instead of providing closure for the non-disabled married couple through a tragic-yet-photogenic death.. Some abled screenwriters, as, indeed, many crips, do tend to struggle picturing a life for us that's not recovery or parent-focused.(I used to get more angry about this, but then my old dreams didn't come true and my new ones felt cobbled together, which does feel like a living and writing challenge...i just wish more people cared enough to reach outside medical-drama tropes.)

If you like Juliette Lewis, though(I always have), you'll like this one, though I bet I'm not the first member of Generation X, disabled or not, who feels like she turned her back for five minutes and some of us struggled with maternity.(I'll leave it up to my peers to decide whether we feel too young, or expected to die in nuclear destruction by now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment