Thursday, February 25, 2021

Entered Another Contest...

 one of those ones where your write to the prompt. Decided not to pass this time, even though the prompt is somewhat futuristic.Protagonist is a virtual-reality programmer who uses her own body to experiment on.

The world felt changed. The fare on TV looked the same but wasn’t. Grocery shelves were as well-stocked and colorful as ever, but, with what exactly, it wasn’t as clear. Reports from Greenland foretold the future, as usual, but, whereas, before I had ignored them, today, I was unmoored. A friend, a former D-1 scholarship athlete, confided he had stopped exercising, while my mother, who is sixty-three, enrolled in not one but three Pilates classes. The elevator opened and I stepped from this liminal haze into face-to-face confrontation with the chairman of the board.

He nodded when he saw me, and gazed at some point below my forehead to avoid considering my breasts, which seemed more prominent to my own eyes since I wasn’t sitting in a wheelchair anymore.”Implant working well, I see,” It was less a question than a statement, but I wanted the chance to prove myself without being Special Needs Virtual Reality Designer. I reminded myself that I was lucky to literally find my footing at this stage of my life. “You bet, sir.” I said, feeling like a toady.

“Glad to hear it,” he said, his nod making him look more like a macaw than the owl he resembled at rest. I wasn’t sure he’d want to hear if things weren’t going great

No comments:

Post a Comment